In 1942, the United States Department of Defense purchased 5,000 acres of land for the Clinton Naval Air Station. The installation was used to train pilots and to house their training planes. In June 1946, the Navy ceased operations, and in 1947, the City of Clinton acquired the land and buildings from the War Assets Administration. Sherman Iron Works leased space in the facility for use in salvaging surplus combat aircraft and parts. The facility was renamed Clinton-Sherman Airport. In March 1955, approximately 2,700 acres were transferred to the Air Force for use as a Strategic Air Command (SAC) fighter and satellite bomber base. A new runway, several large nose docks, and numerous other support facilities and buildings were constructed for use by SAC. Nine hundred housing units were added to accommodate the personnel required to operate the base.
In 1969, military operations were de-emphasized, and Clinton-Sherman was designated for closure. On December 31, 1969, the Air Force closed the installation. The Air Force maintained caretaker activities until the property was deeded to the city of Clinton on June 25, 1971. In October 1989, the leasehold agreement between Midwestern Oklahoma Development Authority (MODA) and the City of Clinton for the rest of the Airpark was terminated. On July 1, 1993, the city of Clinton leased the Airpark to the Southwestern Oklahoma Development Authority (SWODA). The Oklahoma Space Authority took title to the Clinton-Sherman Airpark on December 5th 2006. SWODA will continue to manage the facility for the Oklahoma Space Authority.